Protecting personal information and respecting personal privacy are very important to Bivio Events Inc. (“Bivio”). This policy applies to all of Bivio’s information practices and to all of its business operations, products, and services, including:
- Conferences and other events produced by Bivio (“Our Events”);
- The print and electronic publications published by Bivio (“Our Publications”);
- Websites related to Our Publications and Our Events (“Our Websites”); and
- Email newsletters related to Our Publications and Our Events (“Our Email Newsletters”).
Personal information will not be collected and stored by Bivio, electronically or otherwise, without the knowledge and consent of the individual to whom it relates.
The purpose of collecting personal information is to be expressly stated by Bivio whenever solicited, and is not to be used for purposes other than those stated.
Personal information obtained by Bivio is not to be shared with third parties, unless the consent of the person to whom the personal information applies is obtained beforehand.
Information which Bivio treats as personal includes the following:
- Credit card information;
- Responses to validation questions asked for circulation audit purposes, such as year of birth or parent’s first name;
- Home address and contact information, unless identified to Bivio as being business address and contact information;
- Mobile telephone numbers; and
- Responses to opinion surveys, except to the extent that these are stated to be “for the record” and for publication.
Information which Bivio does not treat as personal for the purposes of this policy includes the following:
- Individual’s name;
- Business title of the individual;
- Individual’s business function (e.g. sales, marketing, operations);
- Name of the organization with which the individual is affiliated at the time that the information is obtained;
- Industry sector and sub-sector describing the organization’s activity;
- Business mailing address;
- Business telephone numbers;
- Email address;
- Website address of the organization or individual; and
- Photos or videos of the individual.
To review, revise, correct or update any of the personal information Bivio has about a visitor to its sites, or for any matters pertaining to privacy of personal information, please contact Bivio’s privacy officer:
120- 6900 Airport Road
Canada L4V 1E8
Personal information collected from Our Websites is always collected on a secure web server using 128-bit encryption.
Personal information is safeguarded on the servers used by Bivio. Access to the personal information on servers used by Bivio is protected by the use of a security system, a firewall, passwords, and in some cases encryption.
When a person visits our websites, Bivio may send him or her a cookie. A cookie stores a small data file on the visitor’s computer. This file enables Bivio to recognize the visitor each time he or she visits us. Cookies help Bivio in many ways, for example, by saving a visitor’s region, for purposes of collecting non-personal data, for counting the number of times you visit our sites; and for gathering information on the types of Internet browser and operating systems used.
A recipient may, at any time, opt out of receiving any of Our Email Newsletters or emails from Bivio which inform about new products, services or information related to the industry by so indicating at the time that information is being given to Bivio, or thereafter, by following the simple steps stated in any such Bivio email received.
An individual may also deny permission or opt out of any previous permission given for Bivio to share address information with carefully screened third-party organizations by so indicating at the time that information is being given to Bivio, or by contacting Bivio’s privacy officer (at the address shown above).
Accuracy of collected personal information
Bivio will from time to time on its own initiative, or immediately upon an individual’s request, rectify or erase any incomplete, inaccurate or outdated personal information retained by Bivio.
Information that is no longer being used for the reasons stated upon collection is deleted from our databases after five years.
Non-personal information collected automatically
Non-personal information is collected from Our Websites in the form of web logs. The web logs are used to analyze anonymous behavior on Our Websites for the purposes of improving Bivio’s products and services. On occasion aggregate statistics will be provided to reputable third-party companies, but these statistics will contain no personally identifiable information.
This policy was last modified on May 30, 2014.